Thursday, December 24, 2009

Stranded on Paradise Island

Yesterday's training was quite interesting. did some agility ladder stuff (the two ladders have been rotting in the hockey store for eons) and also an exercise in jabbing/defending which i found very helpful. im usually playing the forward/midfield so i dont really get a chance to practise my defending skills, but now im wondering if im more suited for defending because i never seem to be able to get the ball when i play further front. oh well, i'll let coach decide for me in future. my right foot took quite a beating during training yesterday. got whacked on the ankle, then the ball got sweeped (swept?) onto my toes. still some slight bruising below the ankle bone today. besides the unfortunate minor mishaps though, training was actually quite fun, surprisingly. i wish training could always be like that, but alas i know that there will be more physical training in the coming year T_T on a side note, the captains are merciful (yay!) so there wont be training on christmas.

today's christmas eve! cant believe it's already december 24th. time really flies, and 2009 has flown past in the blink of an eye. i guess it's about time for me to start reflecting upon the year's happenings. if i had to sum up 2009 in one phrase, i guess it would be "guilty pleasure". to be honest, the fates have been kind to me this year, and i have plenty to be thankful for. firstly, my academics have been largely stable throughout the year. also, my fitness has improved greatly thanks to hockey (still not up to standard yet, but at least im making progress). finally, and most importantly in my opinion, i made so many new friends, and reconnected with so many old ones too. and yet, despite all that, i cant marvel at my blessings without at least a tinge of guilt, because unfortunately the fates have not been as kind to those around me. in the same year i experienced so many blessings, i have seen friends around me, close friends, suffer so much. it hurts to see my friends suffer while i get away without a scratch, seemingly unfairly. sometimes i wonder if i deserve any of this, or if i should be doing anything to help my friends, but in the end i find out that i am completely useless, and all i can do is simply watch my friends' pain.

im posting this early cos i'll be going for a christmas party at my cousin's house later. feasting and xbox 360 marathons await! merry christmas everyone! :)