Sunday, March 27, 2011

The end of the beginning

OK, I know I've abandoned this place for quite a while, so I'm back to show you guys that the blog and I are still alive.

Well, immediately after my last post about the field camp was the sit-test, which honestly I failed terribly in. If there was one thing I learned from the experience, it was that I simply can't think straight when under the pressure of time constraint. Oh well, all in the past. After that we had a few slack high-key events like live firing and grenade throwing, followed by the 16km road march. The weather was absolutely terrible for the first 4km since we started at around 3pm; I'm pretty sure it was above 33 degrees celsius for the first hour. Thankfully, the heat subsided as evening rolled in and I managed to survive the entire way.

We're POP-ing in two weeks and I'm having mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, we get a full week of freedom and finally the green light to grow out our hair again (at least to a certain extent), but on the other hand I know that my NS journey has only just begun and I still have another 20 months or so to go. On top of that, there's whether I want to go to command school and even whether I can make it there in the first place. Until now my IPPT is still not up to standard, so I can pretty much prepare for a life of mindlessly running around and following orders. The thought of it all makes me want to slam my head repeatedly into the dead end of a future I have created for myself, but I guess I was never meant to excel in the army.