Sunday, April 24, 2011

Not just a game

Try reading this post while listening to the video at the bottom of this post with the lights off :)

While reading up on Lavender Town Syndrome (supposedly the screeching noise in the background of the theme music of Lavender Town in the original Japanese Pokemon Red game caused the deaths of hundreds of Japanese children, majority through suicide), I came across something more believable and more disturbing.


I'm sure that a game that carries as much symbolism as this has different meanings to different people. Personally, I feel that it is a statement on the tempting and corrupting effects of power. When we are equipped with such power that we can take down anyone who opposes us without breaking a sweat, we tend to forget the moral implications of utilising such strength, until the consequences of our actions one day come back to haunt us.

And in case you were wondering what the Lavender Town theme sounds like:



Just so you know, I've heard this theme a few times these past few days and I have to say that while it's certainly pretty creepy in the wee hours of the morning, I'm certainly not contemplating suicide at the moment.