Sunday, January 3, 2010

If you reap but did not sow, then did you steal?

Time has progressed, while i have not. we've more or less crossed the grey area to be well and truly in 2010 territory, which would signal the end of holidays coming soon. already school will start for pri-sec school kids tomorrow, and it's only a miserable seven more days before it's our turn, but i feel that my mind and attitude is still in holiday mood. i have homework still undone and yet i can spend hours doing literally nothing. i think it's a problem i've been having for a very long time, cos i honestly cant remember a time after pri 2 or 3 when i actually bothered to finish all my holiday homework (that's right, it takes years of practice to become as accomplished a slacker as me). am i taking things too lightly? i see friends who are already getting worried about A levels, so should i feel worried that i dont feel anything yet? maybe i should start getting serious about my life?

for as far back as i could remember i have been slacking. i told myself to give my all for PSLE, for prelims, for O levels, and for promos, but i always end up slacking at some point of time. where's the distinction between "taking a study break" and just plain slacking? i cant seem to find it, but somehow i feel that majority of my time has been spent in the latter region. throughout my life my mom has been telling me that i was doing good but could do better (even after O levels she said i've only been putting 80% max), and now im starting to wonder if all my achievements have been unfairly earned, and if i actually deserve to be where i am today.

it turns out that unbeknownst to me, A7X released a compilation of b-sides made during recording Avenged Sevenfold called Diamonds in the Rough somewhere in 2008, including an absolutely epic alternate version of Afterlife, with strings injected not only at the intro and breakdown, but throughout the song. i think this version is even awesomer than the original (i never thought it would be possible), but sadly im guessing it would have been too difficult to recreate live onstage with all the added string components so they had to simplify it for the album version. still, nothing's stopping us from enjoying it off-stage. Afterlife (alternate), by Avenged Sevenfold: