Friday, May 27, 2011

More masks than Slipknot

You definitely meet all kinds in the army. On the one hand, you get to know people whom you can hit off with almost immediately and generally have a blast with when we're not being screwed around by sergeants. On the other hand however, you also meet people who are so self-centered and selfish you would not believe they would have the audacity and callousness to pull off what they do, and without batting an eyelid to boot. So to survive this social warzone within the army, we start to play the political game to weasel ourselves out of scraps. And at the end of the day, I wonder if I have changed for the worse after all the masks I have put on.

Moving on from boring ol' introspection, it has been a very hectic week. Three tests (two of which were surprise tests), an 8km road march and a VHF exercise just today, which combined with a stand-by-bed immediately afterwards caused us to book out at 9pm. On SAF Family Day (yup, apparently that's going on today). And to make things worse, the entire day today I felt dizzy, disoriented and unnaturally fatigued; basically, it was a fever without the actual fever (if it doesn't make sense it's because I'm having a not-really fever right now). To top it all off, tomorrow is my NUS GEP interview, which I really don't feel like going to anymore, but then I've already pushed it back for about a month already so it's not really feasible to delay any more. Panadol to the rescue I guess.