Friday, November 11, 2011

Watching others tread the same path

There are so many aspects of my life that I could be and should be taking control of right now, but instead leave to one side. My subconscious has not yet fully adjusted to the fact that I am now, sans voting rights, a full-fledged adult with complete responsibilities for my actions and inactions. Am I too used to taking cues from authoritative superiors, or too afraid to set my own directions? Like any good GP essay, the answer is probably between the two extremes.

Speaking of which, this year's 'A' levels started a few days ago, and it's quite nostalgic to see the same panic and anxiety we experienced last year being played out in front of us again by our juniors. I'd like to give them the old "been there, done that" talk about how they really don't have to be as fearful of this exam as they are now, but prior experience tells me that they won't be receptive to talk like that right now. In any case, we all deserve to feel self-pitiful once in a while; to feel like the world is being unfair to us and everyone owes us simply because they're not suffering as much. It's nearly as indulgent as it is saddening.