Tuesday, November 29, 2011

井底之蛙

There's so much wrong with the way I'm running my life that I don't know where to begin. I miss the days when someone else did it for me. Whether it was parents or the school or even the education system in general, there was always some indication of where to go and what to do next. Of course, the indicated course might not always be the right one, but at least it gave me somewhere to start, a point from which I could slowly fine-tune my final destination and route. And, in the worst-case scenario, if they gave me instructions that were completely off the mark, at least I had an external target at which I could project my frustration and anger. Now that the wheel of the ship has been handed over to me, two things have become immediately noticeable: that there is a whole lot of open ocean, and that there is a whole lot of water beneath the surface. Unlike in the past when I went along a road with a pre-determined path and at most a few branches, now I've been given the option to choose exactly which direction to go towards, and I've become paralyzed with options. And while an accident back in the old days only meant getting up and brushing the dirt off my knees, now it could mean sinking below the surface and never finding my way back again.

I'm the frog that got pulled out of the well and can't get back in.