Saturday, May 12, 2012

Carpe Diem

An accident in the news is just a noteworthy piece of information at best. An accident that happens close to heart is suddenly so much more.

This morning, there was yet another accident involving NSFs: a jeep carrying four NSFs overturned. Of the four, two made it out relatively unscathed, one suffered lacerations, and the last passenger unfortunately passed away in hospital.

This is not the first time an NSF has died during army training, but this one strikes especially close to home. Not only am I now an NSF as well and the same age as the victim, but he was also from the same Catholic High School batch as I. I did not really know him personally, but the idea that someone so similar to myself suddenly had his life snatched away from him, like a carpet pulled away from under his feet, is disconcerting to say the least. Suddenly, I am reminded that fate is blind and the reaper harvests from young and old alike. Ironically, I find myself going back to a philosophy that was frequently championed back in Cat High: Carpe Diem.