Saturday, October 16, 2010

Proud to be

Yesterday was our farewell assembly. After all the admin stuff was done with, they invited an ex-NJCian to give us a motivational speech. It's life stories like hers that really put your own into perspective, and while I've always been aware that I live a blessed life, it's really a strong dose of reality to know of someone whom you are sort of related to (in the NJC family? haha) having had such a trying 'A' level. Still, inspirational speech was inspirational, and I really do feel motivated to give it my all for the coming exams.

The video was very nostalgic; I'm not gonna act macho and lie about it. Although I wasn't exactly on the verge of tearing, I could feel my heartstrings being tugged as it recapped the ups and downs of NJ life and conveyed all our teachers' heartfelt wishes and motivating words. My heart literally jumped when I saw caifan uncle and tehbing auntie featured in the video too XD The final scene, with the camera view slowly moving along the narrow sheltered path that leads to the side gate and out of NJ, was definitely an emotional climax for me, as I looked upon the path that I have taken out of school every day for the past two years from a totally new perspective.

After the assembly, the OG10 OGLs received cards made by the OG! :D I'm really happy that they actually still remember us even though it's been nearly a year since Genesis. Very glad that we managed to have such a deep impact on all of your lives :) Since you guys wished us good luck for the 'A' levels, I'll return the favour and wish all of you good luck for your PW!

There was chem consolidation, so unfortunately we didn't have much time for photo-taking and general fooling around after the assembly, but we still managed to act crazy for a bit. I got owned twice by the class, first when we were taking a "formal class photo" and ended with lionel grabbing onto my leg while the rest pointed at me and posed for the photo, and second on the field when chin tricked me into trying to taupok j.gan and I ended up getting taupoked instead (my chest still hurts a bit when I breathe in deeply haha). Afterwards, we managed to have a class lunch afterwards, with quite a good attendance. We went to a nearby Domino's Pizza for lunch (I didn't even know that Domino's existed in Singapore, much less that there is a branch near NJ) and afterwards signed each other's class photos. It was a pity that I had GP consolidation at 3.30pm so I couldn't stay and get messages from everyone, but the gesture itself was meaningful enough :)

I'll definitely miss NJC; heck it, I'm missing NJ life already and it's only been a matter of hours. After thinking about it, I realised that I really owe the great times I had in the school to many amazing people. In particular:

OG17 for an amazing start to an amazing two years, and for convincing me that NJ life doesn't necessarily have to be mugger life.
09SH27 for being the last but not least class, and for tolerating all my nonsense (making weird noises, acting half my age etc.).
NJ136 for making a year-long proposal draft and presentation on something as abstract as "conservation" bearable.
The hockey team (seniors, teammates and juniors all included (: ) for pushing through tough times on the pitch with me even though I'm one of the physically weakest on the team, and for all the stupid conversations at the grandstand after training.
The term 3 boarders for making those three months awesome despite the shaky internet and "unique" food. Oh, and for introducing me to PvZ :D
The Ignis OGLs for making the tiring pre-orientation preparations as fun as the actual thing.
OG10 for being an awesome OG \m/ (OG10, can we own them? OH MY GOD, CONFIRM CAN!).
09SH25 for being the closest I've ever been to a class that wasn't my own (in fact, I should thank them for merging with us to form 09SH28).
Xiao Lan for being my H3 physics buddy and for being just as blur as I was during all the lectures XD
Darrell and Joy for being my H3 maths gang together.
The Chinese class people (for both years!) for making the lessons survivable.
The GP back row warriors, for being the GP back row warriors.
The Crossroads mugging group, especially Joshua Goh and his girl-gang for all the biscuits :D
The Bishan Library gang for turning "pink slip collection" into a competitive sport.
The Oreo Prata/Rubber Band/Metal Prata guys for having to endure my failed screamo and my constant suggestions for them to play A7X and Metallica songs
And everyone, I literally mean EVERYONE else I've ever met in NJ who has had some impact on my experience in one way or another. Even if you were just a friend of a friend whom I happened to exchange a few words with, I want to thank you :)

I don't know if my time in NJ will be the best time of my life, or if my life will only get awesomer from here on, but I do know that it has been a uniquely awesome two years spent here, and nothing could ever replace it.
Proud to be? Hell yeah I am.