Sunday, July 17, 2011

Limbo

I try to look at NS in a positive light and convince myself that I'm making productive use of my time, and for the most part I'd say that I'm quite successful in that, but once in a while a rock strikes my head and I remember that my future life will not lie within the army but outside of it. Then I start to realise that while I'm still stuck in this two-year limbo, those fortunate enough to escape the system (mainly the girls I guess) are already starting to move on to the next stage of their lives. My female colleagues during the DSO internship have already gone on to receive their scholarships proper, and will soon be continuing on to their higher education in a matter of months, while those of us stuck in the army have to complete our mandatory hiatus, losing any hope of maintaining our post-'A' levels momentum. I know that theoretically we're supposed to have lots of admin time to use for planning for our future, but honestly it is very difficult to maintain efficiency and discipline in planning when we're left alone with a flood of information with no real clue of where to start looking. Utterly depressing.