Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ideas are bulletproof

Just finished reading V for Vendetta. It's not as mind-blowing as Watchmen was for me, or maybe that's because I didn't get the shock factor of reading an Alan Moore comic for the first time. Still, it was a very good read and really caused me to think about the distinction between chaos and anarchy; are they the same thing, or is there a subtle and yet important distinction between having no order and having no imposed order? Did V really help an oppressed nation rise against its overlords like he claims, or did he just decapitate an already ailing country and leave them to deal with a different brand of misery? Perhaps he only represents one of anarchy's two faces; V's destruction to Evey's creation. Perhaps he recognised himself to be only half the man that anarchy was meant to be, and so forcibly transferred his mask to Evey.

"There, did you think to kill me? There's no flesh or blood within this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof. Farewell."

Now that I managed to check another book off my to-read list, I decided to take on something else: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World has been borrowed from the library and now sits in my bag, waiting to be brought back to camp to read. I seem to have a taste for these kinds of totalitarian dystopia satires...