Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Career path

So I've been told that I think too much for my own good. While that's an accusation that I've been trying to refute ever since, I must agree that their argument does hold water when I'm sitting alone at home on a quiet evening and my mind starts to wander uncontrollably. Honestly, it's one of the fastest ways to get me in a depressed mood.

Since the only interesting thing at work today was the visit to the electronic circuits failure analysis lab at NTU, I decided to take the second half of the day off to go back to NJ. Unfortunately, I happened to choose the wrong half of the day -.- Not only did I miss the walk-in, I also missed the group of people who went back to watch the walk-in in the first place. The OGLs were all busy OGLing and most of the teachers had gone home since it's only the second day of school, so it was more or less a wasted trip for me.

I just keep getting this feeling that I'll have to give up more and more of what I want to do for the sake of work in future. I guess I'm really just over-reacting here, but the thought of being enslaved to a job seriously frightens me. Already I had to give up watching the walk-in (both of them, since I'm going into NS before the SH walk-in), which frankly is taking an unexpectedly large toll on my mood because I've been looking forward to it since maybe last year's orientation. If we work to earn money to spend, why do we work so hard that it takes the fun out of whatever potential spending we might do? If the money is for the bare essentials then it can't be helped, but beyond a certain level of material comfort is a career really that important?

Which is why I cannot fathom how people are willing to choose jobs solely based on pay. I'm talking about jobs that are so boring, mundane and run-of-the-mill that the only reason why anyone would even think of them as ambitions is because they just happen to pay ridiculously well. I mean, take for example dentistry. How many people take dentistry out of a genuine burning passion for incisors, canines, pre-molars and molars, and how many people take it because it's near-guaranteed employment with an impressive salary? I'm not saying that every dentistry course hopeful is in it for the money, but I'm sure most of them are, at least initially.

You see, this is why I don't like thinking too much. It makes me emo and seriously side-tracks my train of thought and writing.