Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Going back

So it turns out that department I was assigned to in DSO had scheduled an "interaction session", so halfway through the day we went out for lunch and a movie (The Centurion, which is barely more than a gorefest in my opinion) :P I think in terms of salary-to-effort ratio I've struck the goldmine with this internship :) Having said that, we've already gone through basic PCB design and HDL, so it can't be much longer before we're given actual assignments. Personally I'm looking forward to when that happens; frankly I'm getting rather embarrassed of free-loading off DSO.

Yet despite all that, tomorrow will be yet another half-day for me because we're visiting a lab in NTU with circuit design tools such as an x-ray machine for the circuit boards, so I'm utilising my new-found free time to go back to NJ! :D Perhaps half a year ago I would have slapped myself on the head for wanting to go to school in my free time, but I really want to see how this year's orientation is shaping up, and also maybe say hi to a few juniors and teachers too. It's a pity that I'll still be missing the JH walk-in in the morning, but at least I can say hi to some of my juniors-turned-OGLs and maybe sneak a peek into the Ignis practice sessions with lionel. It may get kind of awkward since I'm not a councillor or anything, but I'll be in Tekong by the time the SH walk-in comes by so I'm willing to thicken my skin to see them at least once.

I think I'll crash CNY celebrations too, since my internship will be over by then :)

Here's a random anecdote from the day: while waiting for the movie to start, I went to the CD shop on the ground floor of The Cathay (the name escapes me) with the rest of my group to browse a bit, and just for fun I decided to see how much of my music I could find on the shelves. The answer: not a lot :( From Avenged Sevenfold I could only find Diamonds In The Rough, which is weird because it's neither old nor new, and it's not even their first concert DVD, so I don't know it was there instead of, say, Nightmare (which I might actually have bought if it was there). From System Of A Down I found their self-titled debut album as well as Steal This Album, which is once again an odd choice since it wasn't even their breakout album (which was Toxicity by the way). From Iron Maiden they had Killers, which is a freaking old album which I don't even listen to (Powerslave FTW :D ). And... that was pretty much it, I guess. Nothing from Protest The Hero, The Human Abstract, Abandon All Ships, Mastodon, Last Chance To Reason, Little Boots, and not even the more "mainstream" and "famous" ones like Daft Punk and Metallica. Freakin' Metallica. I don't know if my eyes deceived me, but I saw Megadeth but not Metallica. What is the world coming to? I've never claimed to be a musical snob who only listens to music nobody's heard of, but when literally all your favourite bands and artistes can't be found in your average CD shop then it's a sign that you're a musical deviant.