Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's Will Wright's fault

OK I think I've been neglecting this place a bit, especially since the last few days have been pretty eventful. I blame it all on discovering Spore, which is definitely one of the most addictive games ever. Every time I considered updating this place, I ended up playing Spore instead. So yeah, you know who to blame (NOT ME!!!).

So anyway, last Thursday I went with lionel, edmund, junjie and rayson for dinner at the Plaza Sing Carl's Junior (so there goes my two-year streak of only eating there on my birthday), and after that we went to window-shop at the collectors' toy shops on the top floor. They had some really cool figurines, especially the Gundam and Transformers figurines. I'll definitely seriously consider starting some sort of collection in future when I have a stable income. Oddly enough, we also noticed that those shops loved stocking up on Adolf Hitler figurines for some reason, which I found mildly disturbing to say the least.

Friday was CNY celebrations at DSO (also a paid day :D ) and in the morning I formed a team with some fellow interns to participate in their CNY challenge. We didn't manage to fare exceptionally well in the "build a tower using chopsticks, oranges and pomelo" section (AKA 步步高升) despite careful planning the day before, but for the "fold a paper aeroplane that can fly the furthest" section (AKA Leaping into an Auspicious 2011) we decide to heck all the gliding aerodynamics and fold what was essentially a spear, which eventually managed to fly the furthest. So I'm sure we all learned a valuable lesson about hard work: that it doesn't pay off :)

Today started off pretty badly. I woke up in the morning to go to ECP for cycling with some 28 people, but got terribly lost on the way because I'm me, and spent about 20 minutes or so walking around aimlessly in the rain between Paya Lebar and Tanjong Katong (don't ask me how I got there, I don't know either) before throwing in the towel and calling edmund for directions, which is when I discovered that the outing had been cancelled -.- In the evening, my dad brought the family to The Art House where I met melissa working at the reception counter of one of the exhibits. Honestly when she first told me about her job a few weeks ago I thought The Art House was some arts supplies shop, so that came as a surprise to me. Anyway, we were there because my dad wanted us to watch this choir concert called 7 by a group called ONE, which comprises young singers probably around my age or slightly older (and by the way, I'm fairly certain that one of them is an NJ senior). The performance was pretty good - the standard of singing is definitely there, and they made things interesting with the use of choreography and lighting (or rather the dramatic lack of it at specific times). Overall it was a good experience which definitely helps add to my high-brow art cred :P

Tomorrow's my last work day :)