Friday, January 7, 2011

Salaryman Man

I am now a salaryman... man:


Yes, I did embed this completely at random. How did you guess?

Yup, after such a long time of talking about finding a job, I finally started this Monday as an intern at DSTA (well technically it's DSO but those two are virtually synonymous as far as I'm concerned). I went in expecting to have to tackle mountains of mundane paperwork trickled down to us peons from the higher-ups who are too busy inventing missiles and tanks to bother, but what actually happened was in fact the complete opposite. Not only were there no mountains of paperwork, but there were also no mountains of cool engineering/inventing projects. In fact, there haven't been mountains of anything. My past 4 working days have been spent pretty much watching MIT video lectures online all the time (full-length lectures at that, each one lasting nearly an hour) in preparation for the real work that never seems to arrive. I know that I'm insane (like, more than usual) for complaining about getting paid for watching youtube videos, but honestly speaking I didn't sign up for the money. $55 a day is great and all but I really have no intention or target to spend it on right now. I joined the internship really to get some first-hand experience of work life in DSTA, and now it seems that every group besides mine has at least something to do. And there's a sharing session later... What the heck am I gonna tell the other interns, seriously.

Sometimes you just want to drift along aimlessly, but then you see people around you who have taken full control of their lives, charted their course perfectly and are speeding miles ahead of you, and you look at yourself and wonder if you're doing the right thing with your life. Sure you can drift, it's only a matter of getting used to everyone else overtaking you.

The past two nights I've also been going from work to the 25/27 chalet :D Basically just treated the chalet as my house. As expected, it was pretty awesome, when the two craziest classes in the NJC 2009-2010 batch have concurrent chalets next door to each other. It was a pity that I could only join them in the evenings though, and missed out on night cycling because I had to get up early the next day for work :( Still, it was a blast having one last huge party with the awesome 28 gang before we all shave our heads :)

I've had quite a persistent sore throat/throat infection (I suspect the latter) since Tuesday which has been seriously bugging me. I'm just spamming water to try and keep it under control right now and hopefully it will go away soon.

I really need to get used to not blogging during late night hours before going to work. In fact, this is probably not doing any favours to my throat either, so I'd better just go to slee-

WAIT. There's something I've wanted to do for weeks now but I just kept procrastinating. About a month ago, I discovered this awesome band called Mastodon. If I had to describe their music, I'd say they're kind of like Protest The Hero but slower-paced, heavier and more experimental, but I don't have to describe them so I won't, because honestly I don't think I have the musical vocabulary to do them justice in my introduction. So just have a listen:



OK, now I'd better go to sleep.