Sunday, December 26, 2010

Cracked snowglobe

OK, so I guess Christmas morning started off on a rather ugly note.

Random fact of the day about my life: my mom still sneaks into our (my brothers and I) bedroom on Christmas eve, puts presents on our beds and insists that it was Santa Claus, and we just humour her every year. This year, "Santa Claus" got me a hat, anticipating my lack of hair in the near future (hurr hurr -.-), my younger brother got a Zinc bag (I've never had one of those fancy schmancy Zinc bags :O ) and my youngest brother got a 15-book Road Dahl collection, which would have made me seriously happy when I was 12 (I've only read maybe half of the books in the collection). The problem (there's always a problem, isn't there, or there wouldn't be a point in this post) was that my brother didn't share my enthusiasm over the gift. Bluntly put, he was not happy at all with it. When my mom asked him about the gift, he forced a smile which obviously didn't fool her. During breakfast, she whispered to me "You know, Santa Claus told me that the book collection was the most expensive gift, over a hundred dollars."

The thing is, there were times in the past when the economy was shaky and all we would get was a packet of sweets or chocolates, so the books definitely weren't the "worst" present he ever got by a long shot, but he seemed to react more strongly to this year than before. Is it because he's become pampered with "cooler" presents the previous few years running up to this year? Was I like that when I was his age? Am I still like that now?

Well, maybe I'm reading too much into too little (happens quite frequently with me). He seems to be completely cool with it now, and has even started reading some of the books. Now about my own present, it's not that I don't appreciate the thought, but I don't think I can muster the self-confidence to wear a hat out in the public outside of a walk-in/prom setting. So yeah.. probably won't see me wearing it before I lose my hair. Sorry, Santa.

Going off on a tangent here, I think it must be kinda sad to have your birthday fall on a major holiday like Christmas. Everyone is probably too busy with their festive activities to make a big deal out of your birthday, and if your parents are cheapskates they'll probably try to weasel their way into giving you one present for two occasions (I can completely imagine my mom doing that, haha). Now that I think about it, my birthday is pretty close to Halloween. Maybe if I lived in a country where Halloween is a huge event every year, I would grow up to become a Jack Skellington-style goth kid XD

I have just gotten hold of the complete Tron: Legacy OST, and I have to say that Daft Punk are absolutely amazing. I'm sure the Twitterverse is tired of hearing me say this, but they are seriously talented to be able to create such beautiful blends between orchestral and electronic music that not only doesn't sound forced, but perfectly complements the movie. I sat down to listen to the album and decide which songs to transfer to my MP3, until I realised that I just had to transfer the entire album over. Here's but a small taste:


It starts of purely with strings, and when they introduce the electronic parts it doesn't jar with the music, but rather creates a "digital" atmosphere for it. See now why it's perfect for the movie?

Holy crap, 2011 is only a week away.