Thursday, December 9, 2010

We part ways, but we won't part company

I know this post has been long overdue since I left a cliffhanger in the previous post about grad night, but now's my holiday, which I intend to spend as decadently and with as little activities requiring basic mental activity (i.e. writing) as possible. Childish and irresponsible? Yes. Beneath me? Hell no.

Grad night was awesome! The food was great, the entertainment was quite good too, and it was the first time I saw so many of my classmates and friends decked out in the classiest of attire. We're finally starting to look like the refined NJCian ladies and gentlemen we're supposed to be, eh? But even if prom was held in a hawker centre zichar stall and we all came in t-shirts and bermudas, I still think I would have enjoyed it. Really, prom is not about the glitz or the glamour or the food; what else could it be about besides the company? It's a celebration alright, but not one for the best-dressed or the most popular, but for the simple fact that we are all NJCians who have survived the arduous two years and have found companionship in each other. I find that people who didn't enjoy prom because it was " not good" have simply missed the point completely. I'm starting to have a bit of regret over not having brought a camera, since that was probably the last time I'll see many of these people, but with the wonders of modern technology (when you mention "modern technology" in a GP essay it's nearly always Facebook, isn't it?) I think it's still possible to keep in touch with friends :)

After prom, the 28 gang minus OAC people went to play LAN at *scape (it's spelled with the "*" right?). First up the dota noobs played CS, where I got completely owned by jaron and zhongxi, whoever happened to be on the opposing team at the time, while the dota pros played dota (like duh). After a few rounds, the dota noobs played dota and the dota pros played CS... and then switched back to dota anyway. It's comforting to know that at least among the dota noobs I can hold my own in dota :D

When we were done with LAN (approximately 2.5 hours later), someone had a delusional fatigue-inspired idea and we actually walked nearly all the way back to bryan's house, which took an hour or so. And when we finally relented and hailed cabs, it turned out that his house was only another 15 minutes on foot T_T Definitely a lesson in perseverance. So we reached bryan's house and the first thing we did, out of all the stuff we could have done, including going for either of two post-prom parties, was watch a pirated copy of Snakes On A Plane, but hey, it was a fair trade for me. It's one of those movies that's so bad and campy that the dial spins all the way around and it becomes awesome. If I haven't mentioned it here before, here it is: I have a weird liking for so-bad-it's-good movies like this.

The rest of the sleepover was pretty much talking nonsense and being retarded (AKA the usual routine) (notice how "sleep" was not mentioned; "sleepover" is the greatest misnomer in human history), and then we went back home. Awesome time guys, and I'm sure the chalet will be even better.

I just came back from a birthday/farewell party for junjie since he's leaving for NS later today, but it's 4am right now which is the latest I've ever stayed up to since the start of the holidays (excluding the all-nighter during the sleepover of course), so I think I'd better sleep now. I'll fill in with the details later today.

All the best junjie! :D