Thursday, December 30, 2010

Elephants, barracudas, fleas and me

It's pretty ironic, really. Force someone to do the same thing over and over every day and he'll scream for freedom at the top of lungs, but once he actually gets his freedom he'll be too used to his daily routine to make any actual use of it. "Look at me, I could sign up for sky-diving lessons right now if I wanted to!", he yells triumphantly, as he continues to sit in front of the computer watching stupid youtube videos the whole day, just like how he has done so every day so far. And in case you didn't get the hint from this being my blog and this being me typing, "someone" here refers to me *dramatic plot twist gasp*

I'm really not getting the hang of the fact that there's absolutely nothing stopping me from going out of the house every day and having the time of my life doing anything that isn't illegal, so every day I end up going about my usual routine like nothing's changed. I guess this is pretty much like that story where you chain a baby elephant to a tree for so long that when it grows up it won't even attempt to budge as long as you tie a rope to it's foot and attach the other end to pretty much nothing. Well sometimes it's elephants and chains and sometimes it's barracudas and glass walls and sometimes it's fleas and jar lids, but the overarching idea of conditioning oneself to self-impose restrictions is, well, overarching (and so is the theme of animal suffering, but I don't think that's what the storytellers had in mind).

So going back on topic, the reason why I realised this is because a bunch of 28s came over to my house today to play Wii games and generally do stupid things, and they kept saying how they haven't seen me out in quite a long time, which I have to admit is pretty true. And sadly, with the internship starting soon it will mean even less of seeing friends and doing cool shit, but if being a "greater mind" is all that it's cracked up to be then I should have a blast at DSTA too, right?

Which brings me to the idea I've been pondering over, planted into my mind by you'en: maybe I could just stay over at the chalet anyway, then just wake up at 7am to get to DSTA on time. Of course, that would mean having to get a decent amount of actual sleep at the chalet, which would be a pretty tall order under normal circumstances, but nigh impossible seeing how it's a 09SH25/09SH27 combined chalet.

Also, a few days ago I decided, on a whim, to listen to The Dillinger Escape Plan's latest album released sometime this year, Option Paralysis. While I still dare not say that I'm a hardcore fan of TDEP, there's something about them in general and this album in particular, the unique mix of technicality and brutality, genius and chaos, that not only makes it sound like frightening noise, but frightening noise which is actually intriguing and addictive and enjoyable to listen to, and which sounds more and more like a masterpiece the more you listen to it. It's like Leonardo da Vinci superimposed all his most famous works on top of each other to form a blob of ink and colour and showed it to someone and he said "What's with this chaotic mess of sh-HOLY CRAP I SEE THE MONA LISA." And in case you were expecting me to embed a sample of TDEP's work below, I'm sorry to disappoint you for now because I really want to listen to them a few more times through before I decide which song to put down here.

If you're familiar with the game-reviewing comedic genius that is Zero Punctuation, it might be apparent to you that I've been watching a lot of his videos recently because my blogging is starting to seem slightly reminiscent of his style. Just need to sprinkle a few expletives here and there, change half of my full stops to exclamation marks and do away with commas entirely.