Monday, December 27, 2010

What now?

I have a confessions to make: I haven't sent my DSTA scholarship acceptance form yet. After all, they didn't mention a specific date, though I have to imagine that I'm pushing "ASAP" a bit far. The reason, I'm afraid, is that I have no idea how to fill it up. I'm referring specifically to the part asking which universities I have applied to or am applying to, and application results for the former. Firstly, I still don't know which universities to choose. My mom has a preference for UK universities, though I question the validity of her reasoning ("When I think of US universities, I think of men with glib tongues and business suits."). Secondly, and more worryingly for myself, I have no idea when or how I should go about applying at the moment, if at all. Do I just let everything slide for the moment, or is there something I should be actively doing? My distress is twofold, because I'm afraid that I might miss a life-changing junction if I do nothing, and because I know that this should be something that I'm familiar with and it reminds me yet again of what a lousy student I am (at least admin-wise).

I have to say that I really regret not clarifying all this stuff back in NJ, and I miss having approachable teachers who will listen to my queries. I'm browsing through Brightsparks forums and university websites right now, but honestly I can't bring myself to believe anything until it's been backed up by a teacher.

Yes, I'm gonna say it: I miss school.

On a lighter note, I just learned today that the treadmill in my house displays distances in miles instead of kilometres, so my stamina hasn't dropped like a rock since post-NAPFA days :D And here I was panicking because I couldn't maintain a 12kph pace (which would give a 2.4km timing of 12min) when I was actually running at 12mph (which is a whopping 19.3kph O.O ). In hindsight I guess it was kind of a himbo moment for me, but I'm so used to being disappointed by my physical capabilities that I'll believe that I can't even finish half of a 2.4km run with a 12min pace.

To-do list:
Read up on universities and applications (maybe I'll make a trip back to NJ to ask the teachers one of these days)
Submit DSTA form ASAP (like, for realz, before they get pissed off :X )
Use the treadmill again (regained confidence w00t!!!)
Practise commuting to DSTA (don't want my phobia of missing bus stops to get the better of me on my first day of work. And yes, it's not enough to get directions there; I need to physically travel along the route or I'll seriously freak out)

And before I forget, this picture kind of struck a chord with me (and I'm not even a Christian). Is this the summary of modern Christmas?

 (I guess people without some background knowledge of the Bible won't get it)