Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Zero

I've been waiting forever to type that as the title of my post. Yes, it's finally over. That was definitely a very long twenty days, but it's all over and that's all that matters to me right now.

There was a class movie outing, which was sort of successful I guess. In any case it's the best we've ever been capable of. Watched Rapunzel in 3D on Jacob's suggestion ( >.> ) but it turned out to be quite an enjoyable movie: standard "Disney princess" movie with song and dance and cute animal sidekicks and love-conquers-all plots, but Disney has a brilliant track record of making all their movies entertaining and heartwarming at the least (them and Pixar will be the reasons why I never grow old of animated films). Interesting to note is that this is the first Disney princess movie in CGI (even The Princess and the Frog was purposely made in the more traditional sketched style). I don't know if I'm glad for their technological progress or sad for the abandonment of what I've always considered to be a Disney trademark. In any case, I'll always be impressed by Snow White and how the art style of the entire movie was more "blurry" and "washed-out" to fit the theme that Snow White was the fairest of them all. I just don't know if that kind of nuance is possible to pull of in a generation of movie-goers who demand crisp and flashy colours above all else.

After that, we had dinner at this place called the Music Cafe. Sadly, we missed Live Band Night on Wednesdays and DJ Night on Fridays, so there really wasn't much to the namesake while we were there. Of course, that didn't cause the restaurant to lower their prices T_T The guys were planning to LAN after that, but the LAN shop only had 7 computers left for 11 people, so I guess LAN will have to wait.

While at the Music Cafe, they were playing MTV on the TV there, and My Super Sweet 16 was airing, which caused many of us to start criticising the extreme decadence and self-indulgence of American youth, which of course is an over-generalisation given our current level of information. Still, it really makes you wonder if all that talk is really just sour grapes and not an actual display of maturity. After all, it's so much easier to get angry at a person if she's 16 and complains that her parents bought her a Nissan instead of a Mercedes for her birthday.

The storm is finally over, the open sea awaits, and I shall raise the sails and take the wheel... later. For the next feel days I just want to wallow in self-indulgent sloth